search

for

something

Swipe left to keep

Kept articles are stored in your profile for you to read later.

Got it!

Mr. Trump, Drop Out.

election 2016

0
0
120

Rochester

current

Mr. Trump, Drop Out.

10.13.16

I wish to write today not just as a writer for The Rival, but also the President of College Republicans at the University of Rochester. I have personally opposed Donald Trump’s run for the presidency since he announced on June 16, 2015, but have been reluctant to do so in my position for fear of alienating any supporters who may already feel alienated by the rest of our campus community. However, I can no longer hold my tongue in good conscience after more revelations into Trump’s sickening comments on women.

In audio recovered by the Washington Post, Donald Trump makes the most repulsive comments when speaking to Billy Bush, saying:

“I’ve got to use some Tic Tacs, just in case I start kissing her. You know I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the p---y. You can do anything.”

Mr. Trump went on to make several egregiously disgusting comments in the conversation, which are not out of line from comments he has previously made during this campaign.

The President of the United States, as a leader, is supposed to set an example for the nation; this is not the example I want our country to follow. Would you be able to look your mother, your sister, or your friend in the eyes after these comments and justify any reason you could vote for this individual as the President of the United States? I cannot fathom any justification, nor would I accept one from any member of the College Republicans organization.

These statements are not only opposed to the ideas of Republicanism, but fly in the face of everything America stands for as a nation. Republicans were the first to recognize women's rights in the party platform, and it is because of Republicans the 19th Amendment was ratified. Republicanism has empowered women, and we should be embarrassed by these comments, as well as previous ones, Mr. Trump has made regarding women. They are unacceptable, and anyone who exhibits such misogyny is unqualified not only to be President of the United States but also any elected position within our nation.

Republican leadership, while it is impossible to remove Donald Trump as the nominee per rules of the Republican National Committee, it is time to formally request Mr. Trump step down as the Republican nominee and cut all funding and resources from the RNC to the Trump campaign. It is not enough to just denounce Trump’s predatory comments on women, but force Mr. Trump to, as John McCain stated, bear the “burden of his conduct and … suffer the consequences.” He does not stand for Republican values, and if you refuse to take actions after these comments, then I am no longer a Republican.

A poll conducted by ABC News and the Washington Post in September found that 57 percent of Americans believed Donald Trump is biased against women and minorities. It is time the other 43 percent concur.

I look forward to the Republican Party winning the White House from Hillary Clinton, who is seen as unacceptable with disastrous approval ratings by Republicans (7-93) and Independents (31-68) alike. However, it is important the Republican Party not sink to Trump’s nauseating level in the process. There’s always 2020.

Comments of this nature should not and will not be tolerated. This is not "locker room banter;" this is undeniably repugnant rhetoric that no decent human being would ever speak. Donald Trump’s misogynistic rhetoric is one of the many reasons he is unfit to be the President of the United States.

America deserves so much more than this from the party of Lincoln.

Mr. Trump, drop out.